Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Who Calls?




My hair appointment is at 10:30, and since I like to have at least two hours in the morning before having to go anywhere, I set the bedside alarm to come on at 8. The alarm, that is, not the radio, because I will just listen to the radio and doze off again, whereas the alarm beeping will annoy me enough to sit up and turn it off.

As I set the alarm, I think to myself, “I would like to wake up on my own, shortly before the alarm goes, so I won’t be jarred out of sleep by it.”

And donchaknow, at about 10 to eight I’m awakened by a male voice calling, “Kathy!”

It is an unfamiliar voice, but real enough that I put on my housecoat and go to the door, then through it, to see if anyone is there.

All I find are the busy birds, and the old dog, Jenna, who stirs from her rest when she hears my footstep in the porch.








3 comments:

  1. Doo doo doo doo
    Doo doo doo doo......🎵

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably just one of the "dead" people. I hear them call my name sometimes too. Not voices I recognize either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard my name called a few times throughout my life by a "disembodied" voice, but only one other time did it wake me from sleep, and that was in the middle of the night, and it was my brother-in-law, who was away, while I was staying with my sister and their newborn. I got up and checked the house and children and all, but there was no problem.

      The other times, it was always my dad's voice, and he is alive and well.

      Delete

Leave a message here or email me at stubblejumperscafe@gmail.com, home of the snow and land of the wheat!