Saturday, December 20, 2014

The World Before Us

The latest book I've brought home from the library: The World Before Us, by Aislinn Hunter.

Page 33, and I'm not drawn in yet, I'm even a little bored, and I'm wondering whether to read a bit further, give the author more of a chance to pique my interest.

I've been up since Scott brought me the last coffee in the pot before he left the house. But not really up, as I've been lying abed, reading. Still in my fluffy green housecoat, which needs a wash but that can't be done here, as our iron- and sulphur-soaked hard water will stain it rust.

Page 89, and yes, I'll carry on a bit further now that I've come this far.

For more information about the story, CLICK HERE.


2 comments:

  1. Kathy, I had to smile reading this. I have read a lot of books, and now I don't feel I owe it to the author to go beyond the first 30 or 40 pages if I don't like the writing or the characters make me want to slap them hard. One woman writer I met had written a book of short stories. I read the first one to the end, maybe 12 pages, and hated it. Even though she was even an acquaintance, I didn't care. I returned the book to the library, saying to myself that was dreadful. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never occurred to me that I owe a thing to the author! And there is a lot of she-ite published, anyway. I just try to give books a fair chance to interest me, and with some I have more patience than others. How long depends on what's going on with me, what I need at the moment, and what my other reading options are. A book I can't be bothered with today might be perfect for me in 10 years, while something that was fascinating as to me as a very young woman now just makes me wonder what the heck I was thinking.

      A writer at a paper where I used to work didn't like to meet or talk with the author of a book before she reviewed it, as doing so made her inclined to want to like the book and be easier on it than she would normally.

      Delete

Leave a message here or email me at stubblejumperscafe@gmail.com, home of the snow and land of the wheat!