Sunday, October 17, 2010

Things in Trees

Home for a Bird
Finally I found a place to put this thing!

Trusty birdfeeder


















Milk-cow owners who couldn't afford a fancy cream separator would pour fresh milk into this pail and in the morning the cream would be sunk to the bottom and would be drained off via the spout.



As you will see from the comments, my mistaken notion that cream is heavier than milk has been corrected. The caption beneath the pail above is a perfect example of my apparently skewed logic, which still doesn't allow me to believe that cream is lighter than milk or, for instance, that buttermilk is less fatty than milk. And yet -- cream rises to the top, so it must be lighter even though it looks thicker and heavier, as does buttermilk. I've never been able to make sense of it.

5 comments:

  1. Actually, cream rises to the top. Skim milk would come from the spigot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I had it wrong as I was writing it, and yet .... Hm, this might be the story of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your things in trees. I wouldn't have known about the last one unless you told me. I use to have a sap bucket but lost it one of the moves. I think I might have left on a tree....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, on the other hand, thought "what a brilliant idea!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in LOVE with the musical notes!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message here or email me at stubblejumperscafe@gmail.com, home of the snow and land of the wheat!