Thursday, December 2, 2010

Got the Christmas Spirit Yet?

Photo courtesy of Kurt Ekstrom


















Along with my amazement that there are still thinking persons who believe that women shouldn't have equal status and rights legally, economically and socially, or persons who believe women should have or already have equality but don't consider themselves "feminists" because the word has come to mean "man-haters" or "women who aren't loving, giving, family-supporting" or something, which is entirely ridiculous, it is also beyond me why there are so many Americans who don't want everybody in the country to have state-funded healthcare. I've heard the arguments against it, of course, and certainly I'm aware of the fearmongering the insurance companies are indulging in to scare the hell out of people, but I'm surprised that people buy it.

In Canada, and particularly here in Saskatchewan where it all began, we are proud of and grateful for our public healthcare system which, although like any system it has its flaws and needs to be improved, means that I can take Emil to the doctor for a checkup today without worrying about where I'll come up with the money to pay for his visit. It means that whatever he needs, if I can't afford it or can't afford the insurance or he can't, it will be provided — and that has always been the case, in all of his 22 years. I can only imagine the strain it would have put on our family if we had had to fight with insurance companies to pay for the most basic of his needs; we had enough to worry about, thank you very much.

That said, Tommy Douglas and his political party had a hell of a fight on their hands when they brought in universal healthcare all those years ago. Doctors fought it. There were strikes. There was hysteria! We were no brighter here in Canada than they are in the States, so we shouldn't be so smug I guess. It all seems so silly to us now... here. In the States, many people are still fighting universal healthcare tooth and nail. To most Canadians, that is bewildering.

Anyhoo, all this to let you know that I'm going to throw a few bucks southward to help out a mother who seems to have been left in a rough spot by the US for-profit-only healthcare system. Maybe you can afford to do the same and will find it in your heart to do so.

2:34pm
Mission accomplished! Rigel informs me that the money flowed in this afternoon. That was fast!

5 comments:

  1. (Chuckling) I believe everyone should have equal rights, but I do not like to be called a feminist for exactly the reason stated. There are some radical feminists (just as there are radical everything elses) that give feminism a very bad name indeed. Also, I don't like the term because it implies to me that such a person is specifically for women's rights and I support the rights of and value all people. I don't like the idea of men vs. women or black vs. white or Christian vs. Muslim, etc. Many times I refuse to record my race on forms because I don't like being forced to think in those terms. I can still be proud of my individual heritage without separating myself from other segments of the population. (I'm not sure I'm communicating effectively here.) However, I do not use the same logic when it comes to religion. There are people who claim to be Christians whom I am loath to be lumped with, but I still identify myself as a Christian.

    As for government funded healthcare across the board, I am very wary of it. My family has never been able to afford health insurance, and the kids qualify for a state funded healthcare program. I am thankful the state healthcare was there when my oldest daughter needed it, but I don't necessarily feel government funded healthcare is something dh and I need. In fact, I'd love to not be using it for the kids. I do like the idea of something being in place for the poorest segment of the population, but that already is the case in many places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on inclusion, partly because universal health care or universal rights doesn't leave a trail to the supposed second-class citizens who are in need. I love it that I can so painlessly contribute to something with such admirable results. And I think it's admirable, even though it's worn in some places and broken in others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HUGE THANK YOUs to everyone who pitched in to help out my friend Stacy!!! The response was amazing -- the stuff of happy tears! Money came from every people ranging from ladies I work with the you darling, kooky Canadians! :)

    The transfer board is ordered and will be in at the end of next week. I am taking her a card and the pick-up information on the board order and a bouquet of flowers in the morning.

    Thank you to everyone for being so positive for Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said and well done my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go, Kate...I'm so glad Stacy got her board!

    A very well written post...and I agree with you completely.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message here or email me at stubblejumperscafe@gmail.com, home of the snow and land of the wheat!