Sunday, January 22, 2012

Whipped Shortbread

Before

Yesterday I made a batch of whole wheat cake doughnuts. Not many left, as you can see. I had two for breakfast, with my coffee. They're 75% healthy, if you don't count the oil they were fried in. Right? Oh, all right, but once in a blue moon ... anything's allowed.

Scott is going to see his friend Floyd tomorrow. Floyd lives in a nursing home in Yorkton; they've been buddies since their high school days. Last time I took whipped shortbread to Floyd, he said they were "the best thing I've tasted in my life." That was a few years ago, when he still lived in Wadena.

I make them small, a scant teaspoonful of dough, so you can pop them in your mouth and there won't be another crumbly half to make a mess. Also, Floyd has only one hand to use; not that it makes any difference I suppose. However, here's where I'm looking for ideas from all you experienced cooks out there. I'd like these cookies to look nice as well as melt in your mouth. Do you think a pastry cone would work? Would the dough be soft enough to go through it?

After



5 comments:

  1. I just read your blog and the first time I made Whipped Shortbread, your Grandma Edna said she had rolled them into balls with her hands, flattened them out criss-cross with a fork , and put 1/4 of a red or green cherry on top.I have always made them like that.Should be home tomorrow or Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen it done that way with regular shortbread; just didn't think this lighter dough would stand up to handling. I'll try it. - Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa, the link to your blog is not there when I click on your name!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message here or email me at stubblejumperscafe@gmail.com, home of the snow and land of the wheat!