Friday, December 21, 2012

Inside the Saskatchewan Legislative Building




 A bust of Tommy Douglas, revered by the people of Saskatchewan for fighting the fear and ignorance that opposed universal healthcare and bringing it, in spite of furious objection by fools, to the province. The federal government followed suit not long after, and the rest is history: medical care is now provided to every citizen of Canada, and not just to those who can afford it.

I had dropped my camera in the snow just minutes before; note the fuzzy blobs on some photos. They wouldn't have been great pics anyway, but let me tell you, that place is awe-inspiring, as I suppose it was meant to be.

The Feedjit gadget at the bottom of this page is kept because occasionally it brings a link to a wonderful new blog, and because you never know what kind of Google search will bring people to you. Here's one from the last 24 hours:

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania arrived from google.com on "Back at Golden Grain Farm: July 2009" by searching for dads buttcrack always showing.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like church.
    Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I love your photos of the Saskatchewan legislature. Thanks for including Tommy Douglas. A few years ago, there was a vote on the biggest hero among Canadians and Tommy Douglas came out in first place. Universal health care is a great comfort. I think we need to value our great visionaries, who can clearly see around the distant corner and who work to lessen our fears of positive change.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love going into government buildings! I love the architecture and all the little details. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Julie, and I agree that the buildings are beautiful. I decided that in my precarious state---I drank coffee, then two glasses of red before I actually touched my pizza---I would not go to see Dad's buttcrack

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pretty much stood there with my mouth open, absolutely awed.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message here or email me at stubblejumperscafe@gmail.com, home of the snow and land of the wheat!