Sunday, July 19, 2015

Movie Endings

Movie endings are usually somewhat disappointing to me. I prefer them to be happy but, even when they are, they seem to come too soon. Maybe I just don't want to let go of the characters yet.

Last night I watched Saving Mr Banks for the second time and, when the ending came at about one in the morning, it still wasn't welcome.

Which made me wonder, has there ever been a movie with an ending that was perfect?

Why yes, there has. Just one that I can think of because of its pure exuberant sweetness.

It's the musical ending of The 40-Year-Old Virgin.

It brought me complete and perfect joy.

In case you haven't seen it, our hero, played by Steve Carell, finally falls in love and gets laid for the first time at age 40, and he and all his friends rejoice:

8 comments:

  1. I hope you got the garden behaving itself again! And flies, you are plagued, what a nuisance! Your movie was one I didn't enjoy on many levels, not least of which was the concept itself.

    But hey, to each her own, right?

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still haven't gotten out to it. Migraine yesterday (why oh why do I get migraines on my days off more than any other time? what a piss-off), and today have been busy with other things. Maybe tomorrow.

      You didn't even like the musical ending? That was the part I enjoyed so much. However, each to his own is right. Absolutiluvliness!

      Delete
  2. I have a spider infestation at the moment. 40 Virgin was good for a few laughs. Sorry to hear you were under the weather hope the migraine is gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it had abated by five o'clock, and wasn't a terrible one where I'm nauseated and worse, just the kind that took the pleasure and ambition from the day and made me stay home when there was somewhere else I wanted to be.

      Delete
  3. I watched a good movie last night ("Electrick Children") and the ending was good but a little mysterious.

    I haven't seen either of the movies, but I'll watch this clip when I get home tonight. I love Steve Carell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like quite the plot for Electric Children! and if you are a Carell fan, you'd likely get quite a kick out of the role he plays in The 40-yr-Old Virgin.

      Delete
  4. Loved that movie, but it wasn't about the ending for me---the characters were so strong and so lovable, each in their way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been on TV lately; maybe I'll watch it a second time.

      Delete

Leave a message here or email me at stubblejumperscafe@gmail.com, home of the snow and land of the wheat!