Monday, February 1, 2016

Light and Shadow

It was a perfect day for a walk.
I turned north from the driveway.
Click on images to enlarge.


After half a mile I retraced my steps and wondered what it would be like to follow this trail of animal tracks down through the ditch, across the field and into the bush. For a moment I was tempted. Such a beautiful day ... 


Instead I strolled on past our driveway and the grass driveway that goes into the back yard, and swiveled to look yet again behind me.


It's all about the light, out there!


I kept on going south, toward the ravine and the correction line. Twice, Ducky Doodle stepped on a layer of snow and ice and it cracked, scaring the shit out of me. Sounded like gunfire, real close.


From our driveway to the correction line and back takes me a half-hour. And the light! And I often do a 360-degree turn to see if there's a moose crossing the road behind me after I've passed. It's happened before. 

Home again, home again, jiggity jog. Halfway down the driveway, I look past the trees and beyond the rusty old car to the road leading north. 



I don't even know who I'm talking to, but almost every day when I go for a walk, I thank someone or something for the pleasure of living here and the time to enjoy it.

6 comments:

  1. You live in a beautiful part of the world Kate! Love the pictures. The road looks as if it is relatively flat surfaced, and not too icy, good for walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't take any chances; I have those anti-slip things on my boots.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I would love to go walking with you one day so we could enjoy the little pleasures of life together.
    Hard to stand up in my neck of the woods lately. Ice everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where are your little-old-lady boot-studs? Of course, they may make a walker over-confident, which is also dangerous on ice. Still I think they do help; we've a lot of ice under the snow here, but I haven't fallen this winter.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a nice place to walk and gather one's thoughts. I always love a sunny winter day. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too ... the sparkling snow is a real fantasyland.

      Delete

Leave a message here or email me at stubblejumperscafe@gmail.com, home of the snow and land of the wheat!