Saturday, October 10, 2015

Fall Day Off

What a perfect day! Heaven surely isn't better than this.

The wind was whispering in the poplars:



You couldn't stay indoors if you tried.
I pulled the tomato and the green pepper out of this planter, and scared two mice out from under it.


They, however, didn't shriek. They just bolted into the flowerbed where I was about to start pruning.
I had second thoughts, believe me, about continuing.

It's so nice out, I went for two strolls. Long, leisurely ones.
In the late afternoon, I put some wild rice (and beef) sausages into a frying pan to cook slowly for Scott. And me? Raisin rye bread with cheddar was my supper:


I've been eating a lot of raisin rye bread since baking eight loaves of it on Tuesday:


It's nearly seven and Scott is not home yet. He expected to be combining only till dark and thought we could go to Bev and Paul's, so that's what we'll do.

I went out to the shed and filled a cardboard box with chopped wood to take along. Then I was inspired to dig out our burning bowl so we can have a fire here one of these days. And I didn't get to a lake yet this summer either. What the hell! The things I like best, and I don't do them? It's foolish.

Out beyond the barn

Scott (?) had built a bale house in the barn, for the cat, and stuck the burning bowl behind it. I had to climb up and then down behind it and get all strawy, ew! But at least with Bob the BarnCat right there, master of his general vicinity, I didn't worry too much about disturbing any mice.

That last hour or two of daylight is always so pretty:


I don't want to go for a third walk at this time, but I go to the end of the driveway a couple times:


It's tempting, isn't it? I almost went again:


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics!
    Your mention of mice, I hate to say it, gives me the shivers. I was raised on the farm and worked on the farm for a good portion of my adult life, and damn if I ever got used to those critters. They make my skin crawl, give me nightmares, plus invade my thoughts when I have an encounter with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will just have to tuck my jeans into my socks, and wear gloves, and remember they've probably always been there (and never been seen) rather than just moving in recently.

      Delete

Leave a message here or email me at stubblejumperscafe@gmail.com, home of the snow and land of the wheat!